Case name: The woman on the boat
Case code: 2023-NL06
- Date of death (estimated): 16 January 1998
- Date of discovery: 16 January 1998
- Location: The Netherlands: On a boat at Jacob van Lennepkade, at the corner of Nicolaas Beetstraat in Amsterdam.
- Sex: Female
- Estimated year of birth: 1963-1973
- Estimated age: Between 25 and 35 years old
- Height: 162 cm
- Skin tone: Light-skinned
- Hair colour: Brown (possibly dyed)
- Eye colour: Green
- Tattoos, birth marks, scars: None
- Jewellery: The victim wore gold-coloured earrings and two thin gold-coloured necklaces. One necklace had a small gold-coloured heart-shaped pendant.
In January 1998, a fire broke out on a small houseboat at Jacob van Lennepkade in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. After the fire, the body of a woman was found in the houseboat. Investigations revealed that the woman had been living under a false name and her true identity was never discovered. It also never became clear whether the fire was an accident, or whether the woman had been killed.
Based on photos of the victim and technical information, police experts made a drawing of the woman. It shows what she probably looked liked when she was still alive. The woman had eczema, and many warts around both knees. She did not have any tattoos or noticeable scars.
The woman was known as Karen or Catherine, but it is not known if this was her true name. The investigation did not reveal her true identity.
If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this person, please contact the Dutch national police via the form below.
You can also contact them and view this case on their national police website.