Case name: The woman with the artificial nails
Case code: 2023-BEL06
- Date of death (estimated): Undetermined.
- Date of discovery: 31 May 2009
- Location: Belgium: Albert Canal, near the Lanaye Bridge in Visé, near the Dutch border.
- Sex: Female
- Estimated year of birth: Between 1985 and 1995
- Estimated age: Between 14 and 24 years old
- Height: 162 cm
- Skin tone: Light-skinned
- Hair colour: Blonde or light brown
- Eye colour: Light-coloured
- Clothing: She was not wearing any clothes
- Tattoos, birth marks, scars: The young woman had two surgical scars: one on her right wrist, about 10 cm long, and one on her lower abdomen. Her ears were pierced.
- Jewellery: None
On Sunday 31 May 2009, the body of a young woman was found in the Albert Canal in Visé, near the Dutch border. Her body may have been in the water for 1 to 5 weeks. She was killed by violence and her body was weighed down with two ‘Alex’ brand weights.
Facial reconstructions in 2D and 3D were made of the young woman, showing what she might have looked like during her lifetime. She is believed to be between 14 and 24 years old and 1.62 meters tall. She was athletically built, had medium-length blond or light brown hair, a light complexion, good dentition and pierced ears.
She had artificial nails. On both ring fingers the artificial nails were decorated with a floral pattern. She had a surgical scar on her lower abdomen and right wrist. The wrist scar is about 10 cm long. The investigation revealed that the young woman had been living in the Benelux region for several years and she spent her childhood in Eastern Europe.
If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this person, please contact the Belgian national police via the form below.
You can also contact them and view this case on their national police website.