Case name: The woman in the Gaasp river
Case code: 2023-NL07
- Date of death (estimated): Probably July or August 1999
- Date of discovery: 17 September 1999
- Location: The Netherlands: In the waters of Gaasp river near Driemond, in the Amsterdam region .
- Sex: Female
- Estimated year of birth: 1964 - 1981
- Estimated age: Between 18 and 35 years old
- Height: 159 cm
- Skin tone: Light-skinned
- Hair colour: Dark brown to black
- Eye colour: Unknown
- Clothing: The woman wore a dark cable-knit jumper and a turtle neck top, and carried a black faux snakeskin backpack of the brand Esprit. She wore black shoes in size 36.
- Tattoos, birth marks, scars: Unknown
- Jewellery: Rectangle-shaped watch of the brand Guess with newly-attached strap.
On 17 September 1999, police found a body in an industrial waste container floating in the river Gaasp. The body was partially encased in concrete and was the body of a woman who had been killed by gunshot.
A facial reconstruction of the victim was made to assist in identification. The woman probably grew up in Western Europe: in Germany, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, the Netherlands or neighbouring countries. She may have had partially Asian roots, which may have shown in her eyes and nose.
The waste container for industrial use of the brand Kliko was produced in 1998.
In addition to the body, the container held men’s clothing, including a white jacket with a striking detail: a logo sewn in over a scorch mark. The waste container also held white bags of powder laundry detergent, possibly used to add weight to the container.
If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this person, please contact the Dutch national police via the form below.
You can also contact them and view this case on their national police website.