Data is at the heart of international policing. When the right data is in the right hands, it can give law enforcement a comprehensive global picture of crime trends to help them tackle emerging crimes more effectively.
But in our increasingly digital society, the ever-growing volume of available data can be overwhelming.
Timely, Actionable Intelligence
Project INSIGHT is implementing a modern, secure and scalable platform to enhance INTERPOL’s data processing and crime analysis capabilities for stronger support to member countries.
It allows INTERPOL to effectively consult and process structured and unstructured data from multiple sources. This includes our databases, notices and diffusions, as well as free text information, police reports, i24/7 messages and attachments. These sources all comply with data protection regulations.
By using modern technology and analysis techniques such as natural language processing and named entity recognition, INSIGHT enables criminal intelligence analysts to detect hidden connections, crime patterns and trends more rapidly.
This means that they can provide member countries with timely and actionable intelligence that furthers their domestic investigations, flags subjects of interest, reveals modus operandi and, fosters greater police cooperation globally.
The INSIGHT platform puts into the hands of its users a powerful set of tools to generate and disseminate advanced analytical products to support investigations and decision-making. At all times, it operates responsibly and ethically in strict compliance with INTERPOL’s rules, guidelines and policies on the use of data.
This large-scale, complex project has a phased delivery approach:
(Minimum viable platform) – 2020-2022
The first phase of the development of the INSIGHT platform was launched in 2020, delivering an enhanced level of connected data sources, outputs and insights.
- Data sources –priority internal data sources;
- INSIGHT tools and techniques – entity identification and extraction, translation, network and geographical analysis;
- Output – operational and strategic analysis.
(Enhanced platform) – 2022-2024
The second phase of development of the INSIGHT platform is helping to expand the scope and functionalities in order to provide more in-depth analysis capabilities.
- Data sources – additional sources and types of data
- INSIGHT tools and techniques – enhanced geospatial analysis, dashboards (a tool to track key performance indicators), ethical use of artificial intelligence techniques and large dataset processing
- Output – advanced operational and strategic analysis.
The future scope
(Outreach and sustained growth)
The future scope will involve both technical and functional developments. It will also explore how member countries can benefit from a secure and tailored access to the platform in full compliance with the data access restrictions.
- Data sources –internal sources, and other external sources as permitted by INTERPOL’s rules on the processing of data (RPD)
- INSIGHT tools and techniques – analytical production management for more collaboration
- Output – collaboration with member countries on joint operational and strategic analysis.
Benefits for member countries
Project INSIGHT aligns with INTERPOL’s strategic goal of delivering state-of-the-art policing capabilities that support member countries in the prevention and fight against terrorism and transnational crime.
This initiative offers a range of benefits including facilitating information sharing for analytical purposes, cross-border case collaboration, and secure access to cutting-edge technology and data analysis.
In an increasingly digitalized world, organized criminal networks are exploiting new technologies to tailor their attacks and hide their activities. The INSIGHT platform helps member countries coordinate their response and address these threats.