Case name: The woman in the canal
Case code: 2023-NL03
- Date of death (estimated): 1 September 1992
- Date of discovery: 7 September 1992
- Location: The Netherlands: Lauriergracht, Egelantiersgracht and Prinsengracht in Amsterdam (multiple locations)
- Sex: Female
- Estimated year of birth: 1947 -1967
- Estimated age: 25-45 years old
- Height: 160 cm - 170 cm
- Skin tone: Light-skinned
- Hair colour: Wavy dark blonde hair, recently bleached
- Eye colour: Presumably blue
- Clothing: None
- Tattoos, birth marks, scars: Examination of the body revealed that she had had a hysterectomy; it is unclear if this surgery left a visible scar.
- Jewellery: None
On 6 September 1992, in the centre of Amsterdam, a passer-by found two hands at Lauriergracht; when the canal was searched, two lower legs were found. Subsequently, a suitcase containing the torso of a female was found in the canal at Egelantiersgracht. Some days later, more body parts were found at Prinsengracht. Forensic evidence established that all body parts belonged to the same person. However, this person’s identity has not yet been established.
As the woman’s head was never found, it is impossible to create a facial reconstruction. Perhaps someone may recognise the suitcase in which the woman’s torso was found.
The woman was of normal to heavy build. Her shoe size was approximately 37. Examination of the body has revealed that her uterus had been surgically removed (hysterectomy).
Perhaps you noticed that a woman suddenly disappeared in late August / early September of 1992, or you recognize the suitcase in which her torso was found?
If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this person, please contact the Dutch national police via the form below.
You can also contact them and view this case on their national police website.