Case name: The woman in the well
Case code: 2023-BEL01
- Date of death (estimated): Between August 1989 and August 1991
- Date of discovery: 6 August 1991
- Location: Belgium: Attenhovendreef in Holsbeek, in rainwater well belonging to the adjacent chalet
- Sex: Female
- Estimated year of birth: Between 1936 and 1961
- Estimated age: Between 30 and 55 years old
- Height: 154 cm
- Skin tone: Undetermined
- Hair colour: Undetermined
- Eye colour: Undetermined
- Clothing: The woman was wearing a beige/brown knitted cardigan, a t-shirt with black vertical stripes and an image of two surfers and 3 palm trees and the text 'sun-surf-sea' and dark, plaid shorts.
- Tattoos, birth marks, scars: Undetermined
- Jewellery: The woman wore a plastic or horn ring
Holsbeek is a town in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. The town is connected to the city of Leuven via the Leuvensebaan, and it is about 30 minutes' drive from Brussels.
On 6 August 1991, the body of a woman was found in a rainwater well in the grounds of a cottage on the Attenhovendreef. The Attenhovendreef is a rural forest road with some detached houses, just off the Leuvensebaan. Her body may have been in the well for up to two years. To this day, the identity of this woman remains unknown.
The woman is believed to have been between 30 and 55 years old when she was found. At 1.54 meters, she was not very tall. Her teeth were in poor condition; she was missing her front teeth and may have worn a prosthesis for this, but it was not found. She had several tooth fillings in her lower jaw.
The woman wore a distinctive t-shirt with black vertical stripes and a summer print. The image shows two surfers and three palm trees and the text: Sun, Surf, Sea. The woman also wore dark plaid shorts, beige/brown knitted cardigan and a plastic or horn ring.
If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this person, please contact the Belgian national police via the form below.
You can also contact them and view this case on their national police website.
If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this person, please contact the national police.