- INTERPOL Paramaribo
Member since :
Law enforcement services in the Republic of Suriname are provided by the national police force called ‘Korps Politie Suriname (KPS)’. Founded in 1895, KPS is part of the Ministry of Justice and Police.
KPS organizes its police activities across four regions, each with its own general investigations unit. Specialized national police units are based in the capital Paramaribo, and include:
- Drug Investigations;
- Financial Investigations;
- Forensic Investigations;
- Fraud Investigations;
- Special Weapons and Tactics;
- Trafficking in Humans.
The INTERPOL National Central Bureau (NCB) for Suriname is part of the KPS Police Intelligence Department. The Head of NCB reports directly to the KPS Police Chief, and has command of a team of six officers.
The principal missions of INTERPOL Paramaribo include:
- coordinating criminal data and intelligence sharing between Suriname police authorities and the international law enforcement community;
- investigating crime and criminal groups in cooperation with partner NCBs worldwide;
- coordinating international fugitive organizations and extradition procedures;
- coordinating the publication of INTERPOL international notices for wanted criminals and missing people;
- Monitoring and assessing national and regional crime threats.