The INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation
The INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation (IGCI) is a cutting-edge research and development facility for the identification of crimes and criminals, innovative training, operational support and partnerships.
Located in Singapore, the IGCI complements our General Secretariat in Lyon, France, and enhances the Organization's presence in Asia.
It is housed in a state-of-the art building conforming to the highest environmental standards.
Crime threats are changing
Police worldwide are facing an increasing challenging operational landscape, as criminals take advantage of new technology, the ease of international travel and the anonymous world of virtual business.
Criminal phenomena are becoming more aggressive and elusive, notably in the areas of cybercrime and child sexual exploitation.
The future of policing
It is crucial for police to stay one step ahead of criminals. In today's world this can only be achieved if law enforcement officials have real-time access to information beyond their own borders.
The digital age has opened up immense new opportunities to police forces, providing secure communications channels and instant access to criminal data. Innovation must become our best ally.
The Global Complex goes beyond the traditional reactive law enforcement model. This new centre provides proactive research into new areas and latest training techniques. The aim is to give police around the world both the tools and capabilities to confront the increasingly ingenious and sophisticated challenges posed by criminals.
The three main components of the Global Complex are as follows:
- Boosting cybersecurity and countering cybercrime;
- A forensics laboratory to support digital crime investigations;
- Research to test protocols, tools and services and to analyse trends of cyber-attacks;
- Development of practical solutions in collaboration with police, research laboratories, academia and the public and private sectors;
- Addressing issues such as Internet security governance.
Capacity building and training
- Research into training and methodology and the transfer of this research into police activities on the ground;
- Classroom, field and online training programmes for National Central Bureaus;
- Anti-corruption training, particularly in sport;
- Quality standards and accreditation.
Operational and investigative support
- Identifying and addressing emerging crime threats, for example, Asian Organized crime;
- A platform for disaster victim identification;
- Incident response and major events support;
- A Command and Coordination Centre operations room reinforces those already in place in Lyon and in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This presence in three continents provides truly global operational support to our member countries.
Overview: INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation
The Future of Policing: INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation