- INTERPOL Nicosia
Member since :
19 September 1962
The Cyprus Police Force was created in 1960 and is part of the Ministry of Justice and Public Order.
- Maintain law and order;
- Keep the peace;
- Prevent, detect and investigate crime;
- Apprehend offenders.
The Cyprus Police focuses on four main areas of activity:
- Support services.
- Chief of Police;
- Deputy Chief of Police;
- Four Assistant Chiefs (Operations, Administration, Education and Support) ;
- Police Districts (Famagusta, Larnaca, Nicosia, Limassol, Paphos and Morphou);
- Aliens and Immigration Unit;
- Audit and Inspection Service;
- Central Intelligence Service;
- Criminal Investigations;
- Criminalistics (scientific examination of exhibits and crime scenes; presentation of scientific police evidence before the courts);
- Cyprus Police Academy;
- Directorate of Airport Security;
- Drug Law Enforcement Unit;
- Emergency Response Unit;
- European Union and International Police Cooperation Directorate (EU-IPCD);
- Materials and Supplies Directorate;
- Police Aviation Unit;
- Port and Marine Police;
- Presidential Guard Unit;
- Professional Standards Directorate;
- Research and Development;
- Scientific and Technical Support (Telecommunications);
- Traffic and Transport.
The INTERPOL National Central Bureau (NCB) for Cyprus is part of the European Union and International Police Cooperation Directorate (EU-IPCD), a Headquarters Unit created in 2003 to handle all domestic police enquiries requiring international outreach.
The EU-IPCD is divided in two Sub-directorates:
1). The European Union Sub directorate, made up of:
- European Union and International Relations office;
- Legal Cooperation Office;
- Human Rights Office;
- Office for the Coordination of EU Representation;
- Logistics for Police Representation Abroad Office;
2). The IPC Sub-directorate made up of:
- INTERPOL Cyprus;
- Europol National Unit;
- Police Cooperation Office;
- Sirene Office.
INTERPOL Nicosia has a staff of 12 and works on a shift basis in order to provide 24-hour service.
- Facilitate the exchange of information between domestic law enforcement entities, partner NCBs across the world and the INTERPOL General Secretariat headquarters in Lyon;
- Exchange information and process mutual assistance requests on serious international criminal investigations;
- Assist domestic police entities and NCBs with regard to missing persons, trafficking in works of art and other high-value objects;
- Coordinate Cyprus’ participation in the annual INTERPOL General Assembly Session and other INTERPOL events;
- Undertake activities deriving from international conventions to which the Republic of Cyprus is a party and in which INTERPOL needs to be involved;
- Publish INTERPOL notices;
- Facilitate the exchange of information between domestic law enforcement and justice entities and partner NCBs across the world with regard to international conventions and bilateral agreements.
Red Notices 35
JOHN CHARLES Age today: 40 years old
GOCHA Age today: 52 years old
Yellow Notices 8
NIOVI Age today: 4 years old
ELFTHERIA Age today: 3 years old
- 34th European Regional Conference - 2005 - Nicosia