- INTERPOL Luanda
Member since :
5 October 1982
The Republic of Angola Police Force
The National Police of the Republic of Angola is a paramilitary force under the Ministry of the Interior.
Its mission is to:
- Ensure law and order;
- Perform police duties while duly respecting human rights and freedom;
- Protect private and public property;
- Prevent, detect and investigate crime;
- Defend the country and keep it secure.
The National Police structure includes:
- National Police Headquarters;
- Provincial Division Headquarters;
- National Directorates.
The Force itself is made up of operational, technical, consultative and support bodies. Some of the operational units include:
- Border Control Police;
- Fiscal Police;
- National Criminal Investigation Directorate;
- National Public Order Directorate;
- National Road Traffic Directorate;
- National Economic Investigation Directorate;
- Protection Unit;
- Swat Police (Special Weapons And Tactics);
- Weapons and Explosives.
As part of the National Criminal Investigation Directorate, the INTERPOL National Central Bureau (NCB) for Angola is a technical and political support body. INTERPOL Luanda serves as the essential platform for investigations involving Angolan national law enforcement bodies and the INTERPOL community at large. With a staff of 20, the NCB’s main function is to promote the exchange of criminal information with INTERPOL member countries in an effort to boost the worldwide fight against crime.
Priority crime areas:
- Terrorism and public safety;
- Drug trafficking and organized crime;
- Trafficking in human beings;
- Financial and high-tech crime;
- Theft of motor vehicles;
- Stock theft.
- Cooperate with INTERPOL member countries and assist investigations involving foreign nationals in Angola or Angolan citizens abroad;
- Facilitate police cooperation between Angolan law enforcement authorities and INTERPOL counterparts worldwide;
- Coordinate the extradition of individuals wanted by the INTERPOL community and located in Angola, or wanted by Angola and located in an INTERPOL member country;
- Inform INTERPOL countries about Angolan court sentences issued to foreign citizens;
- Work with the General Secretariat of INTERPOL and its regional offices;
- Make sure that INTERPOL General Assembly recommendations and resolutions are applied in Angola;
- Work with the Community of Police Chiefs of Portuguese-speaking Nations (CPLP) and the Southern African Regional Police Chiefs Cooperation Organisation (SARPCCO);
- Carry out police and international coordination activities as instructed by the Angolan Police Force.