Advice for car owners
Protecting the contents of your car
Thieves are also interested in the contents of your car. Remember, if a car door cannot be opened and the contents removed in a few seconds a thief generally will not bother.
- Do not leave your car in a dark or deserted place.
- Do not leave valuables (for example, wallet, purse, handbag, mobile phone, laptop computer, camera, CDs, radio, shopping and luggage) in your vehicle. If you do need to leave them in the vehicle, make sure they are hidden from view, preferably in the boot (trunk). It is best to conceal items discreetly before you park, in case you are watched.
- Close all windows and lock all doors and the boot (trunk).
- Don't leave house keys and your address or accommodation information visible inside your vehicle when unattended.
- Never hide a second set of car keys anywhere in your car.